Water Privatization Project
In recent years, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, and JBIC have been financing to pursue water privatization in the developing countries, however, there are a lot of concerns and questions on the influence of such projects. In this program, we targeted to clarify and improve those problems causing from water privatization and commercialization.
Demands to MDBs
“Demands to MDBs regarding the World Panel on Financing Water Infrastructure” was sent to MDBs in March 2003 to reconsider financing water infrastructure.
Reports: Current Situations of Water Privatization
We presented the following examples on water privatization and commercialization in Asian countries and reported on the involvement of international organizations.
- The 3rd World Water Forum:
Concerned Citizen’s Perspective on Water Privatization (by Tomoko Sakuma)
- European Water Corporations:
Global Domination or Troubled Water? (by Olivier Hoedeman)
- Driving Forces of Water Privatization:
The Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs)/IMF (by Nancy C. Alexander and Kyoko Ishida)
- The Failed Water Privatization in Manila (by Violeta Q. Perez-Corral)
- The Role of International Financial Institutions in PAM Jaya Privatization, Indonesia (by Nila Ardhianie)
- Entitlement for Water, the Provision for Privatization in Sri Lanka (by Hemantha Withanage)
- Water Privatisation and Reform of Irrigation System in Thailand (by Montree Chantawong)
Contact Person: Yuki TANABE